National Code: BSB51319
Nationally Recognised Training: Yes
Government funding: Yes Smart and Skilled
The BSB51319 Diploma of Work Health and Safety (WHS) is suitable for people who coordinate and maintain the WHS program in an organisation. It reflects the role of practitioners who apply a substantial knowledge base and well-developed skills in a wide variety of WHS contexts.
For organisations needing a number of employees to be trained, we can customise the course to include your company’s policies, procedures and workplace case studies. This makes the training highly relevant to your workforce and helps you establish and promote a culture of a safe working environment. Training can be conducted at your site in the Illawarra, Sydney or interstate, or students can join one of our classes in beautiful Kiama, 30 minutes south of Wollongong. Contact us if you are in a regional area and would like us to deliver to your workplace.
Diploma of Work Health and Safety Schedule and Location
Kiama Training Centre | TERM 3 2020
Day: Tuesday part-time evenings
Time: 5pm – 8pm
Duration: 6 months of classroom participation with 12 months to complete
Availability: 16 places available
Flexible start and finish are available for those with caring responsibilities.
Where can I study, what locations are available?
Level1, 18 Manning St, Kiama, NSW 2533
Online/Flexible – for those working and/or with caring responsibilities, undertaking the course online is one of our learning options.
You chose the way you want to study.
How is the course delivered?
This course is delivered face-to-face in our Kiama training rooms with an actual teacher.
We also offer this course via our flexibly learning method, please contact our office for more information.
You need to hold the core units from the BSB41419 CIV Work Health and Safety for entry-level into the Diploma
- BSBWHS412 Assist with workplace compliance with WHS laws
- BSBWHS413 Contribute to implementation and maintenance of WHS consultation and participation processes
- BSBWHS414 Contribute to WHS risk management
- BSBWHS415 Contribute to implementing WHS management systems
- BSBWHS416 Contribute to workplace incident response
Course Structure Diploma of Work and Safety
You need to complete 9 units for this Diploma Work Health and Safety qualification, all learning materials and a USB are included in the price
For details on core and elective units visit www.training.gov.au
5 Core Units:
- BSBWHS513 Lead WHS risk management
- BSBWHS515 Lead initial response to and investigate WHS incidents
- BSBWHS516 Contribute to developing, implementing and maintaining an organisation’s WHS management system
- BSBWHS519 Lead the development and use of WHS risk management tools
- BSBWHS522 Manage WHS consultation and participation processes
4 Elective Units:
- BSBWHS512 Contribute to managing work-related psychological health and safety
- BSBWHS514 Manage WHS compliance of contractors
- BSBWHS517 Contribute to managing a WHS information system
- BSBMGT502 Manage people performance
- BSBMGT516 Facilitate continuous improvement
Smart and Skilled
This course is a government subsidised. If you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen or Permanent Resident, live or work in NSW, are over 15 and no longer at school, you may be eligible under Smart and Skilled, meaning the course is subsidised by the NSW Government, visit our page here.
How much is the course?
The BSB51319 Diploma of Work Health and Safety qualification is available under the NSW Government’s Smart and Skilled funding. Prices depend on whether it is your first or subsequent qualification or if you are eligible for an exemption. In 2018 the fees are:
$0 Fee Exemption *
$2,530 First qualification
$2,850 Second qualification
$6,160 Fee for service (non-subsidised)
* You may be eligible for an exemption, which means that you do not have to pay anything for the course if you are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, or if you have a disability, health, chronic medical or mental health condition. Contact our office 1300 653 501 for more information or complete the Smart and Skilled Questionnaire below to see if you qualify.
How interactive and practical is the course?
At NTM this course is practical, interactive and with sufficient time to complete all your assessments. This course includes interesting readings and practical assessment work to be completed at home or at work. There will also be written assessments, projects and case studies related to work health and safety activities.
Pathways to further study and university
After completing the BSB51319 Diploma of Work Health and Safety, you can enter into the BSB60619 Advanced Diploma of Work Health and Safety.
Licensing and regulatory information
There are no licencing or regulatory requirements for this course.
After completing the course, you will be eligible for membership as a vocationally trained WHS member with the Safety Institute of Australia.
I would like to discuss the course before I enrol
Please call our learning consultants on 1300 653 501 to discuss the course. At NTM we are committed to enhancing your learning potential by providing a range of services. To speak to a qualified Career Development Practitioner before enrolling or to discuss Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) about your previous qualifications or workplace training experience, just contact our office.
To support your learning journey we have a range of support services available including: Career Development, Counselling, Disability and Adult Basic Education services. As an NTM student, these support services are available at no extra cost.
Unique Student Identifier (USI)
From 1 January 2015, anyone enrolling in a TAFE or Registered Training Organisation needs a Unique Student Identifier (USI). If you do not have a USI or have lost it, get it quick and free at www.usi.gov.au A USI gives you access to an online account and will contain all your nationally recognised training and results from 1 January 2015 onward.
Step 1: Find out your eligibility for government funding by completing the Smart and Skilled Questionnaire 2020 SS 2020 Questionnaire NTM
Step 2: Complete the enrolment form: NTM Enrol Form 2020
Step 3: Send the Questionnaire and Enrolment form to NTM, via e-mail: [email protected] or you can drop into our Illawarra Office: Kiama NTM, 18 Manning St, Kiama, NSW 2533
Please phone 1300 653 501 for any additional assistance.